As a result, among other changes, we have new TM application opposition procedures and expanded grounds for TM registration refusal.
Mariya Ortynska, IPStyle managing partner, trademark and patent attorney, attorney-at-law broke down the new legislation at the webinar.
Using examples of interesting cases on:
- color TMs (Milka’s purple color, Vanish color, Wizz Air);
- sound TMs owned by companies such as Bayer Consumer Care AG, Hyundai Motor Company, Intel Corporation;
- TMs that violate public order and morality (e.g. TM Contrabanda);
- TMs that include the name of the state, and TMs that contradict state policy (e.g., TM Roaming in Turkey, like at home, TM Omar Khayam)
Mariya spoke on:
- New opportunities for TM applications monitoring in Ukraine.
- Grounds for TM registration refusal in 2020.
- Updated TM application opposition procedure.
- Appealing final refusals in the Appeals Chamber.
- 2021 legislative changes to be implemented, e.g. Appeals Chamber with expanded powers establishment.
The webinar was attended by about 40 colleagues from around the world: the United States, Turkey, Germany, Poland, Belgium, the Netherlands, and others. We are grateful to everyone who attended our event!
There are more changes to come in the field of designs, inventions, and utility models in Ukraine. We will be sure to keep you informed. Stay tuned!